Monday, October 10, 2011

Be Strong, Be Courageous

Joshua 1:9 - Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.


We are often frozen by our own fears.  Yet the Lord commands us to be strong and courageous.  This morning as I spent time in the word, I was drawn to the book of Joshua where it states to be strong and courageous three times in the span of three verses and ten times in the Old Testament.  What is God trying to say to us?  We often look for the hidden meaning in the bible, but this time can it just be that simple?

BE STRONG

We know that this life will bring struggles.  We see indications of this at all times around us.  Jesus says in John 10:10 - The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy.  The thief comes to steal joy, love, and life.

In the second part of John 10:10 Jesus goes on to state "I have come so that they may have life and life to the full". Joy that is found in Jesus. An abundant life that is found through him. Love that is found in him.  The thief comes to steal all of it.

The thief is sneaky.  He not only steals, kills and destroys our joy, he tries to make us believe that it is actually our fault.  He tries to convince us that the things we believe are false.  He tries to remind us of our faults through memories of our failures.  Yet we find in the word: He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed (1 Peter 2:24).  Through the sacrifice of Jesus and our acceptance of that sacrifice, our sins are blotted out and remembered no more.

Be Strong - The Lord is with you.

BE COURAGEOUS

How does one define courage?  Is it doing right when the world wants you to do wrong?  Is it sticking to the high road when the narrow road is so much easier?  What does it mean to be courageous?

The dictionary defines courageous as "possessing or characterized by courage; brave, bold".

Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Deuteronomy 31:6.


The enemy strikes at us through fear.  God wants us to be brave.  God wants us to be bold.  And he gave us an example of how we can do that...Jesus.  But if you look around, you can see other examples that God has put in your life to try to draw out that boldness in you.

Can you spot those examples or are you too busy being scared?  When you truly embrace the life that God has planned for you, you cannot worry about how others look at you.  Remember that Jesus came so that we could live life to the fullest.

Be Courageous - The Lord is with you


In our daily lives we cross paths with people who may just briefly land and then leave.  One such person for me was Tim.  Twenty years ago, he tried to lead me from how I was living my life to a life with the Lord.  He put a building block into what would become my faith over time even though I did not know it at the time.  He was bold and alive when talking about Jesus.  He was brave and took a chance with someone who had no interest in listening to him at the time.  But he counted every moment in life as a blessing and a gift.  He touched the lives of many.  This past weekend he lost his life.  And he is remembered as a man who said everyday that he was blessed and was open about telling others about it.


BE BOLD


BE COURAGEOUS


YOU NEVER KNOW WHO YOU MIGHT BE INFLUENCING.


Many blessings to each of you this day.  Please pray for the family of my friend, Tim.  God loves you and so do I.

Pastor Jim

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes, I think I mistake boldness and courage with pride and righteousness. I suppose the truth comes with what you are being bold and courageous in/about and how you choose to show it.

    And you're right - you never know who you might be influencing. I'm blessed that Tim was a part of your life even though I've never met him. Tim planting that seed of faith in you that grew into the Christians that you and Ang both are today has blessed me immensely to know both of you, to be challenged and loved and supported by both of you, to be influenced by each of you. Each ripple creates another ring in the pond, I hope to pay it forward.

    At times, to be honest, it frustrates me that I can't pin-point a single person that led me to faith, nor can I recall a specific memory of when I became a Christian. I have memories of moments when I felt led by Christ, coupled with ever-present Christianity.

    (Man I miss the internet, it's waaaay easier to read and comment on this stuff when it's not on my phone, lol).

    ReplyDelete