Saturday, February 5, 2011

Looking for God?

We spend an inordinate amount of time trying (and often failing) to do things on our own. We have been covered with the lie that the Lord helps those that help themselves.  Yet no where (and yes I challenge anyone to find otherwise) does it say in the Bible that you are to help yourself.  God desires us to rely totally and completely on him. He gave us the tools to do so.

Some examples:
Psalm 121: 1-2
1I lift up my eyes to the hills—
where does my help come from?
2My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth


What is being said here?  What does it mean to you?  For me it is a solemn reminder that I can give everything to God.  No matter what my situation or trouble, He is my help and salvation.  It also reminds me that even though I am only a small part of creation in comparison to everything else the Lord has made, I am important enough that the Lord will set everything aside for me in my time of need.

John 1:14

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

God knew of our needs that He sent his son to take the form of man.  We know how that worked out for us. We now have a bridge between our lives and God.

John 14:6

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Not only do we have a bridge, but it is the ONLY way to God.  There is no magic detour.  There is no other secret hidden path.  It is a brightly lit as a highway turnpike.  

Embrace Him fully.  Offer yourself to Him fully.  Guess what will happen:

The enemy will strike harder and faster - It seems that when things start going well, they start going bad.  Yet we have knowledge that this will happen.  We know the ways of the evil one.  (Read Genesis 3:1, Revelation 12:9, John 10:10).  

If we are prepared, we will prevail - God gave us the armor  we need.  (Read Ephesians 6:10 - 18).  However, it is not just by being prepared.  We must also work.

James 2:26
As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead

Faith and hope are great and necessary in looking for God.  But we also have to put in the work.  We have to get to know God.  We have to actively seek God.  We can do this by spending time with God each day.  We can do this in prayer and by reading his word.  Surround yourself with good people.

Proverbs 1:5

A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain to wise counsels

Seek to gain more understanding of what God has planned for you.  While you are looking for God, I will bet you will find that he has already found you!!

Blessings to each of you this day.  God loves you and so do I.

Pastor Jim




No comments:

Post a Comment