Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Let Go!!

A saying that I have had the most problems with in recent years is "Let go and let God."  Personally, it used to remind me of catchy jingles that make me want to go out and buy ice cream only to find that a few hours later after I have eaten it, that I am only filled with remorse over not holding to my expectations of eating healthier.

Let go and let God.

A cheesy, whimsical phrase that has allowed many to use God as their scapegoat.  "Oh well, I let go, and God didn't do _____."  Ever been there?  Ever listened to someone else being there?

Let go and let God.

How many of you are control freaks?  If not a freak, then just some other minimization that allows to you live with being in control? 

I would like you to think back to some things that we have discussed about our relationship with Christ.  God has allowed man choice.  This is not the same as control.

You have the ability to choose -

Choose between resentment or rejoicing
Choose between love and anger
Choose between right and wrong
Choose between reading the word or not
Choose between following the word or not
Choose between being a light or blindfold
Choose between being kind or being harsh
Choose between following or rebelling
Choose between worshiping God or worshiping something else (money for example)
Choose to ask for the Lord's help and guidance or try to do it on your own

My point is you have the choice to make decisions on how you will live your life that does not mean that you have control.  Control is an illusion.

Let go and Let God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (NIV)

Let go and Let God.

If you continue to read in Jeremiah, you will find that the Lord offers a path to his plans for you.  Jeremiah 29:12 says "Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen."  (NIV) Yes, God knows what you are going to say, even before you say it, but God will wait for you to come to Him.  God will wait for you to pray to Him.  God will wait for you to speak to Him.  AND HE WILL LISTEN!!  What a glorious relief.

Let go and Let God.

Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." (NIV).

For many years the "Let go and let God" slogan angered me.  But it was not because of anything anyone else was doing.  It was because I bought in to the lie that I was in control.  I bought into the lie that I could do it on my own.  Jeremiah 29:13 gives a key to God for us.  A key that we often misplace.  When we seek him we will find him - but only if we seek him with ALL our heart.

To trust in the Lord - to Let go and LET God - means to seek him with ALL of our heart.  God does not want a one-way relationship.  God does not want a piece of our lives.  God wants the whole thing.

Sometimes it may seem as if God is not there, that he is not listening, that he does not care.  But in reality, it is us, who must seek with the love of our whole hearts.  God will provide for all of your needs at the appropriate time.  God will prepare you for the daunting tasks that lie ahead of you.  God will stand by you and love you - even when you feel the most alone and vulnerable.

God will do all these things if you will...

Let go and Let God.

Blessings to each of you this day.  God loves you!

Pastor Jim

1 comment:

  1. My favorite and forst verse I ever memorized Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknoledge him and he will make your path straight." I have to let go to trust. Not easy, but SO worth it.

    ReplyDelete